10 things to do in Piani di Bobbio
Between Lecco and Bergamo, just beyond Lake Como, there is one of the most popular ski resorts in Lombardy. The Piani di Bobbio is in fact the closest station to Milan and Brianza, with a cable car in operation since the fifties. Piani di Bobbio is the ideal ski resort for families with children and beginners just a stone’s throw from the city, the ideal place for a day in the snow without going too far. Let’s see in detail 10 things to do at Piani di Bobbio to spend a wonderful day in the snow.
Read also 10 things to do in Madesimo!
Discover the best 10 things to do at Piani di Bobbio:
Take advantage of the 35km of ski slopes
As many as 35 km of ski slopes await you at Piani di Bobbio, in a ski complex that includes several resorts between Valsassina and Valtorta. The Piani di Bobbio are certainly the ideal choice for skiing not far from the cities of Lombardy, easily reachable for a day trip on the snow during the weekend, or even just for a morning on the slopes during the midweek, as many professionals who live in the area do. The ski area is ideal for beginners and children thanks to the slopes that are not very steep and the numerous services available. However, there is also a good choice for the more expert skiers who can spend their day skiing on the black slopes of Orscellera and Valtorta.
It has to be said that it is a very popular destination, so it is better to organize yourself in time by purchasing the ski pass online to avoid long queues, and in the same way you can book online the equipment rental and parking so you can enjoy the day on the snow.
Visit the village of Barzio
Barzio is the main tourist center of Valsassina and is the ideal base for those who decide to spend a holiday in the quiet not far from the lifts of Piani di Bobbio The village of Barzio is the right solution to take a break between one descent and another on the ski slopes, offering a privileged position overlooking the entire valley.
Teaching children to ski
Space for children to get them enthusiastic about skiing and winter sports. In the complex of the Piani di Bobbio could not miss a ski school for the little ones. Piani di Bobbio and Piani di Artavaggio are probably the favourite destination for families with children in the Brianza area, the ideal place to organize a ski trip without driving too far. Many families choose this very location for their christening on skis or simply to show their children the snow for the first time, building snowmen at an altitude of 1,500 metres.
Read more about children and parents in the snow!
Cross-country skiing in Valtorta
Slopes from national and international competitions those of Piane di Bobbio and Valtorta. but don’t worry, there are variations even for the less experienced. If you love cross-country skiing you can try two different trails, the Rhododendron Trails at Piane di Bobbio and the Tre Signori trails in Valtorta, suitable for beginners and experts, with rings for a total of 10 km.
Make an excursion in the mountains
In the mountains there are a lot of new and exciting events and experiences to try. Don’t let yourself be chained in the usual routine! The Piani di Bobbio offers a lot of excursions during the summer season, but also in winter, with various trails that reach rest and refreshment points. The Piani di Artavaggio are an excellent destination for an excursion along the Sentiero degli Stradini. While Piani di Bobbio offers trails leading to mountain huts such as Rifugio Lecco, Rifugio Stella, Ratti-Cassin and Gran Baita.
Read also What to do in the mountains: 10 experiences!
Free heel to try a new way of skiing? If you like challenges telemark is definitely worth trying, a special feeling for ski lovers, looking for a new balance between off-piste and groomed slopes.
Typical restaurants to eat in Bobbio
We could not fail to mention some gastronomic specialties, including dried fruit desserts and the famous Polenta Mosa with cheese and melted butter. Piani di Bobbio has a very interesting culinary offer with excellent traditional dishes from Valsassina. We propose two obligatory stops to eat on the slopes in Bobbio:
- Rifugio Lecco: located at 1,780 meters has only one mission: to offer you the best dish of polenta and shin! A nice family run refuge directly on the slopes and only 15 minutes walk from the arrival of the cable car. It offers typical local mountain cuisine and also has the possibility to stay overnight with 20 beds.
- Rifugio Ratti-Cassin: it is a more refined situation, always respecting traditional dishes. The peculiarity of the refuge is the offer of the hotel service and the wellness centre.
Read also Dinners in the hut: which are the best!
Try ski touring at high altitude
Among all winter sports, ski mountaineering is for the more experienced (it is important to have an artva, shovel and probe). As many as seven routes of different difficulty await you in the Piani di Bobbio ski complex.
Choose the route suitable for you to do ski mountaineering at Piani di Bobbio:
- Barzio – Piani di Bobbio: 800 metres difference in altitude from the start of the Barzio cable car for 2 hours of vertical ascent, to be done when it has snowed enough.
- Zuccone Campelli: from the arrival of the gondola lift there are 600 metres of difference in height that can be covered in 1h 30 min, for this route also ice axe and crampons are recommended.
- Crossing Artavaggio – Bobbio: a beautiful route through the ski area lasting 3 hours
Resegone: a historical route from the 1,035 metres of the Morterone to the 1,875 metres of the Erna plains to be covered in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Valtorta – Piani di Bobbio: another beautiful route that crosses the ski area and lasts less than 2 hours
- Artavaggio – Cima di Piazzo: an itinerary with various exhibitions lasting 3 hours along Mount Sodadura
- Aralata: starting from Artavaggio is the most challenging route for 1,000 meters of altitude difference that requires about 10 hours of ascent, very often divided into two days.
Read also Ski touring: best locations!
At the sides of the Piani di Bobbio-Valtorta slopes you will find some of the most suggestive routes to be followed with snowshoes on your feet. Never snowshoed before? No excuses, you can rent the equipment on site. Here are the routes with snowshoes in Bobbio:
- Piani di Bobbio – former hotel Pequeno: departure from the bobsleigh area at the arrival of the Barzio cable car. It is a gentle and flat route, with only 130 metres of difference in altitude, which leads to the remains of an old hotel abandoned in the 1960s.
- Refuges of Artavaggio: at the arrival of the cable car that leaves from Moggio, follow the direction towards the Nicola refuge passing in front of a small church, then go towards Valtorta and finally deviate towards the Cazzaniga refuge. It is a route with an altitude difference of 300 metres that reaches 1,900 metres.
Read also Snowshoe trails: which are the best!
We said that Piani di Bobbio is the ideal place to approach skiing, if you are a beginner do not give up a ski lesson with the teachers of the schools in the area, so as to improve and reach even the steepest slopes of Valtorta!